NHS cuts and sell offs are steaming ahead in Calderdale and Kirklees. Our NHS is not safe. Calderdale and Kirklees Councils, whose duty it is to protect our NHS from damage, are not doing their job.
Party politicians are making sure that grass roots campaigners don’t get too powerful – all three parties are committed to NHS cuts and privatisation, and have advanced it when in government over the last 30 years.
We need a unified grassroots campaign that works across both Calderdale and Kirklees, free from the influence and control of political parties, open to members of all parties and none, in order that we can become the privatisers’ nightmare.
WHAT WE ARE AND HOW TO JOIN US
Calderdale & Kirklees 999 Call for the NHS is a new non-party/cross-party campaign group affiliated to national 999 Call for the NHS . It is open to anyone who supports what we stand for (see WHAT WE STAND FOR, below) and agrees to abide by the rules of our constitution. If you’re interested in becoming a member or supporter, please email email@example.com
We need to link different campaigns together. Otherwise the campaigns stay in little boxes, but if they come together, we’ll be unstoppable.
We need to challenge the story that there is a shortage of money, and that this justifies the NHS funding cuts. There is money. We want it spent on the NHS.
For example. At the moment 40K NHS staff earn less than the living wage. To solve that problem would cost 0.04% of the cost of replacing Trident.
The stakes are fantastically high, for both the public and the politicians who want to privatise the NHS.
The public faces losing the institution we most love and depend on at times of crisis – birth, illness and death.
Politicians from all main parties and their corporate cronies stand to gain from the largest privatisation ever seen in the UK – a budget amounting to around £110bn every year is up for grabs, plus lots of land.
There is a role for direct action groups. We need to take on the politicians who support and enable cuts and sell offs.
Given the state of the media, there is spin and misinformation all over the place. We need to develop our own trusted media and social media networks to communicate accurate information about what is happening with NHS cuts and sell offs and how to stop it happening.
WHAT WE STAND FOR:
- A National Health Service that puts the patient before profit. Allowing doctors, nurses and all health workers to focus on the needs of their patients not private company profit for shareholders
- The restoration of a fully democratic & publicly accountable NHS which stops and reverses the break up of the NHS due to marketisation & privatisation. A fully renationalised NHS – back in full public ownership
- Enacting the National Health Bill (2015 NHS Reinstatement Bill) in the first year of the new parliament. Also to ensure the Secretary of State’s duty to provide a universal, comprehensive health care service based on people’s medical needs not ability to pay
- The restoration of adequate NHS investment to make good the projected £22bn/year funding shortfall by 2020, stopping cuts, establishing & maintaining GDP spend to 10%
- A full UK withdrawal from the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership (TTIP) and other global corporate agreements that seek to undermine public services and place ownership into the hands of UK & non-UK private companies.
- All Public Finance Initiative debts to be renegotiated and investigated for fraud and onerous debt. Wherever onerous debt is proven PFI should be scrapped.
- Maximise the ability of a renationalised NHS to limit, research and control the power of the pharmaceutical industry, basing financing of drugs on fair value not large profits