- NHS activists across England have been embroidering handkerchiefs for 72 of the most marginal English MPs, with the message “Don’t Blow It! Kill the Health and Care Bill before it kills us.”
- If you are a constituent of one of these MPs (listed below), you can sign a letter that will accompany the handkerchief when it is delivered to your MP. Just click on the link at the bottom of the letter, below, where it says “Here is where to add your signature.”
- We think MPs in marginal seats are most likely to listen to their constituents. And marginal MPs of ALL parties need to know the public does not want this Bill – given that there’s considerable cross-party consensus about aspects of the Health and Care Bill. Thankfully, some Labour MPs on the Don’t Blow It! list are speaking out strongly against it and if lots of their constituents sign the letter, this will show valuable support for their position. (Please click on the image to enlarge)
If you’re not sure which constituency you live in, just enter your postcode in this constituency finder.
Additional MPs – and Mayor of London
Campaigners in Lincolnshire and SW London constituencies are also targetting these MPs (regardless of their large majorities) plus the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan. Please sign the letter if you’re their constituent.
- Victoria Atkins MP, Louth & Horncastle (Con)
- Gareth Davies MP, Grantham (Con)
- Chris Grayling MP, Epsom and Ewell (Con)
- Sadiq Khan Mayor Of London (because he has huge power over health provision across all of London.) Any London resident can add their name, postcode and constituency to the letter, even if your London MP is not one of the targetted London MPs.
Here’s the Don’t Blow It! letter to MPs
Please find enclosed a handkerchief with an urgent embroidered message from your constituents:
Don’t Blow It!
Kill the Health and Care Bill before it kills us.
There are compelling reasons for our call:
- The Bill really will kill some of us – it reduces the government’s obligations to secure NHS care for us all; and it will worsen the current NHS staff shortage, by deregulating clinical professions and continuing the moral injury to NHS staff that has occurred during the pandemic.
- It is a Bill for big business – putting big business at the heart of NHS decision-making and the delivery of services.
- It will do nothing to solve the NHS’s problems.
As our MP – Don’t blow it!
The Health and Care Bill, which passed its second reading in July, is beyond amendment. Tinkering with it will not create a Bill that meets the needs of the NHS for the 21st Century.
The Bill must be stopped by MPs.
NHS and social care legislation must be deferred until a Bill can be drafted that will enable:
- world class health care for all,
- a national publicly provided health service, adequately funded and free at the point of need,
- providing comprehensive treatments based on the patient’s best interest, decided together with clinicians not on the basis of financial calculations,
- with national NHS staff pay and conditions and professions regulated independently of government politics.
The Bill reduces the government’s obligations to secure NHS care for us all – potentially this would breach the government’s duty to provide an effective framework for protection of the right to life.
Additional information and references are in an Appendix.
Please Don’t Blow It! Kill the Health and Care Bill before it kills us!
Here is where to add your signature to the “Don’t Blow It!” letter to your MP
Once you click through to the google form, all you need to add is your name, Postcode (proves you are a constituent) and your constituency.
Appendix to the letter
The Appendix is so that MPs can see the factual basis for the statements in the letter.
If you’d like to read it, you can download it here as a pdf file.